One important part of the implementation of the EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd groups of extensions for iris (the Intel gallium OpenGL driver) was the semaphore synchronization (EXT_semaphore extension). We’ve seen how the GL semaphores structs and functions that are introduced by this extension should be used in previous interoperability posts. In this post, I’ll try to describe the methods we’ve used to debug the EXT_semaphore implementation itself as well as the fences backend of the iris driver without getting into many driver internals details.
Today I wanted to see if I can build mesa on FreeBSD. I had to do a few fixes in the code of libdrm and mesa, but the rest of the process was very similar to the steps I follow to build mesa on Linux. Only some paths and a few commands and settings had to be slightly different.
ANGLE is an EGL/GLES2 implementation on top of other graphics APIs. It is mainly used in systems that lack a native GLES2/GLES3 driver and in some browsers for example Chromium. As recently, I’ve used it for some browsers related work in Igalia‘s WebKit team (more on that coming soon) and had to set it up for debugging with GDB, I’d like to share the few extra settings and the configuration I’ve used to be able to use GDB and step inside the ANGLE API calls to examine the underlying driver API calls, when possible, while I was experimenting with ANGLE-based test programs.
More than a year ago, I had worked on the implementation of VK_EXT_sample_locations extension for anv, the Intel Vulkan driver of mesa3D, as part of my work for Igalia. The implementation had been reviewed (see acknowledgments) at the time, but as the conformance tests that were available back then had to be improved and that was work in progress, the feature was stalled, and I had forgotten about it… Until some weeks ago, when I realized that it has been merged into mesa! 🎉
As this feature is now available to the users, I’ve decided to write a short blog post to explain what this extension is about. You can read the extension’s specification if you are interested in learning how to use it and other details.
Vulkan conformance tests for graphics drivers save their output images inside an XML file called
TestResults.qpa. As binary outputs aren’t allowed, these output images (that would be saved as PNG otherwise) are encoded to text using Base64 and the result is printed between
<Image></Image> XML tags. This is a problem sometimes, as external tools are required to display them. In this post I’d like to share a few simple hacks I’m using to display the CTS output as an image immediately after running a CTS test, hoping that they might be handy to more people who work on the drivers.
This is 10th post on OpenGL and Vulkan interoperability with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd. We’ll see the last use case I’ve written for Piglit to test the extensions implementation on various mesa drivers as part of my work for Igalia. In this test a stencil buffer is allocated and filled with a pattern by Vulkan and then it is used in OpenGL to render something else. We validate that the pattern has been imported correctly and we repeat the process for other depth-stencil formats.
In this 9th post on OpenGL and Vulkan interoperability on Linux with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd we are going to see another extensions use case where a Vulkan depth buffer is used to render a pattern with OpenGL. Like every other example use case described in these posts, it was implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia‘s graphics team to check the extensions implementation of various mesa drivers.
This is the 8th post on OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd where I explain some example use cases of the extensions I’ve implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia. In this example, a Vulkan vertex buffer is created and filled with vertices and then it’s used to render the same chess board pattern once with OpenGL and once with Vulkan.
This is the 7th post on OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability with EXT_external_objects. It’s about another EXT_external_objects use case implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia‘s graphics team. In this case a vertex buffer is allocated and filled with data from Vulkan and then it’s used from OpenGL to render a pattern on screen.