In my previous post on WebKit, I explained how we can debug the WebProcess using GDB. In this post, I am going to talk about another useful debugging tool that can be used to debug graphics: APItrace.
Today I wanted to see if I can build mesa on FreeBSD. I had to do a few fixes in the code of libdrm and mesa, but the rest of the process was very similar to the steps I follow to build mesa on Linux. Only some paths and a few commands and settings had to be slightly different.
ANGLE is an EGL/GLES2 implementation on top of other graphics APIs. It is mainly used in systems that lack a native GLES2/GLES3 driver and in some browsers for example Chromium. As recently, I’ve used it for some browsers related work in Igalia‘s WebKit team (more on that coming soon) and had to set it up for debugging with GDB, I’d like to share the few extra settings and the configuration I’ve used to be able to use GDB and step inside the ANGLE API calls to examine the underlying driver API calls, when possible, while I was experimenting with ANGLE-based test programs.
FOSSCOMM (Free and Open Source Software Communities Meeting) is a Greek conference aiming to promote the use of FOSS in Greece and to bring FOSS enthusiasts together. It is organized entirely by volunteers and universities and takes place in a different city each year. This year it was virtual as Greece is under lockdown, and although we’ve missed all the fun of the gathering, there were many interesting talks to watch.
My talk was very similar to the one I’ve given in XDC 2020 about OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability. It was an update on the EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd OpenGL extensions status on various mesa drivers, and Igalia‘s work on them.
This is 10th post on OpenGL and Vulkan interoperability with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd. We’ll see the last use case I’ve written for Piglit to test the extensions implementation on various mesa drivers as part of my work for Igalia. In this test a stencil buffer is allocated and filled with a pattern by Vulkan and then it is used in OpenGL to render something else. We validate that the pattern has been imported correctly and we repeat the process for other depth-stencil formats.
In this 9th post on OpenGL and Vulkan interoperability on Linux with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd we are going to see another extensions use case where a Vulkan depth buffer is used to render a pattern with OpenGL. Like every other example use case described in these posts, it was implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia‘s graphics team to check the extensions implementation of various mesa drivers.
This is the 8th post on OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd where I explain some example use cases of the extensions I’ve implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia. In this example, a Vulkan vertex buffer is created and filled with vertices and then it’s used to render the same chess board pattern once with OpenGL and once with Vulkan.
This is the 7th post on OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability with EXT_external_objects. It’s about another EXT_external_objects use case implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia‘s graphics team. In this case a vertex buffer is allocated and filled with data from Vulkan and then it’s used from OpenGL to render a pattern on screen.
This is another blog post on OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability. It’s not really a description of a new use case as the Piglit test I am going to describe is quite similar to the previous example we’ve seen where we reused a Vulkan pixel buffer from OpenGL. This Piglit test was written because there’s an interesting issue (Issue 7) in the spec according to which overwriting Vulkan buffers with glBufferSubData is not possible! This is interesting because we can overwrite textures but not buffers. When we attempt to overwrite a buffer using glBufferSubData the driver must return an Invalid Operation Error and this is what we tested with the
vk-pix-buf-update-errors test that can be found in
tests/spec/ext_external_objects directory like all other tests we’ve seen so far.