It’s been a few weeks I’ve been experimenting with EGL/GLESv2 as part of my work for WebKit (Browsers) team of Igalia. One thing I wanted to familiarize with was using shared DMA buffers to avoid copying textures in graphics programs.
More than a year ago, I had worked on the implementation of VK_EXT_sample_locations extension for anv, the Intel Vulkan driver of mesa3D, as part of my work for Igalia. The implementation had been reviewed (see acknowledgments) at the time, but as the conformance tests that were available back then had to be improved and that was work in progress, the feature was stalled, and I had forgotten about it… Until some weeks ago, when I realized that it has been merged into mesa! 🎉
As this feature is now available to the users, I’ve decided to write a short blog post to explain what this extension is about. You can read the extension’s specification if you are interested in learning how to use it and other details.
There’s a lot of documentation online about building Webkit/WPE on Linux. But as most instructions are targetting embedded platforms developers, the focus is on building Webkit with Wayland using the flatpak-sdk to automate and speed up the building process. As the steps I’ve followed to build it on my X11 system and run the Webkit/WPE MiniBrowser on a nested Weston were a bit different from the recommended ones I thought that a blog post about them might be useful to people trying to build WPE/Webkit in platforms lacking Wayland, flatpak, systemd, and modern Desktop Environments like the latest KDE and GNOME.
Be careful though: this is not the recommended way to build WebKit/WPE, only the alternative steps I’ve followed in my personal computer until I have access to a building machine! If you are not sure about what you want to do with WebKit/WPE please take a look at the recommended wiki instructions before you follow mine!
Vulkan conformance tests for graphics drivers save their output images inside an XML file called
TestResults.qpa. As binary outputs aren’t allowed, these output images (that would be saved as PNG otherwise) are encoded to text using Base64 and the result is printed between
<Image></Image> XML tags. This is a problem sometimes, as external tools are required to display them. In this post I’d like to share a few simple hacks I’m using to display the CTS output as an image immediately after running a CTS test, hoping that they might be handy to more people who work on the drivers.
This is 10th post on OpenGL and Vulkan interoperability with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd. We’ll see the last use case I’ve written for Piglit to test the extensions implementation on various mesa drivers as part of my work for Igalia. In this test a stencil buffer is allocated and filled with a pattern by Vulkan and then it is used in OpenGL to render something else. We validate that the pattern has been imported correctly and we repeat the process for other depth-stencil formats.
In this 9th post on OpenGL and Vulkan interoperability on Linux with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd we are going to see another extensions use case where a Vulkan depth buffer is used to render a pattern with OpenGL. Like every other example use case described in these posts, it was implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia‘s graphics team to check the extensions implementation of various mesa drivers.
This is the 8th post on OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability with EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd where I explain some example use cases of the extensions I’ve implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia. In this example, a Vulkan vertex buffer is created and filled with vertices and then it’s used to render the same chess board pattern once with OpenGL and once with Vulkan.
This is the 7th post on OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability with EXT_external_objects. It’s about another EXT_external_objects use case implemented for Piglit as part of my work for Igalia‘s graphics team. In this case a vertex buffer is allocated and filled with data from Vulkan and then it’s used from OpenGL to render a pattern on screen.
This is another blog post on OpenGL and Vulkan Interoperability. It’s not really a description of a new use case as the Piglit test I am going to describe is quite similar to the previous example we’ve seen where we reused a Vulkan pixel buffer from OpenGL. This Piglit test was written because there’s an interesting issue (Issue 7) in the spec according to which overwriting Vulkan buffers with glBufferSubData is not possible! This is interesting because we can overwrite textures but not buffers. When we attempt to overwrite a buffer using glBufferSubData the driver must return an Invalid Operation Error and this is what we tested with the
vk-pix-buf-update-errors test that can be found in
tests/spec/ext_external_objects directory like all other tests we’ve seen so far.
This is the 5th post of the OpenGL and Vulkan interoperability series where I describe some use cases for the EXT_external_objects and EXT_external_objects_fd extensions. These use cases have been implemented inside Piglit as part of my work for Igalia‘s graphics team using a Vulkan framework I’ve written for this purpose.
And in this 5th post, we are going to see a case where a pixel buffer is allocated and filled by Vulkan and its data are used as source data for an OpenGL texture image.